Saturday, September 03, 2005

Too LittleToo Late --- Again!

Thanks for your excellent series of reports, Joy Catherine. I have been more or less silenced since last Sunday when I picked up from scattered CNN interviews that thousands who had no means to evacuate were being left behind to be ravaged by Katrina. I did a blog on Sunday pointing this out and watched as nothing was done to get those people out of there. The bus stations had been closed down. No trucks or busses were being rushed in on the nearly empty roads towards the city to pick people up. And to my horror my blog prediction then came all too true: "Perfect Storm Threatens Catastrophe in New Orleans and Vicinity!"

I despair at what we will see now happening with what looks to be more than a million displaced people who have lost everything -- homes, jobs, loved ones -- except what they have been able to carry out in their hands and/or cars. Will we see persistence with the tax cuts for the rich that should be revoked to meet this crisis? Pardon me, but we know from much past experience that private charity can handle roughly 1/10 of the needs in such a crisis and this one will persist for years as people try to get resettled. One expects that with this administration we shall once again see far too little, far too late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home