Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Stressed Out?

In a recent blog on the good old days for workers with whom I had joined summers during my student years, I forgot to mention the pleasures that many enjoyed -- boating weekends, one had his own plane, none manifested anxiety about life or work.

Needless to say we are nearly all stressed out now. I hate watching TV news and particularly those ads that warn of dire medical conditions. We are overwhelmed both by knowledge and facts. We never knew of the suffering of millions around the globe in those days. We had survived a murderous war and hoped for peace from then on. Even the Cold War threat of nuclear war was minimal -- each side saw that such would be suicidal. But now we have suicide bombers who kill indiscriminately. People whose religious views have moved backwards in time to the barbaric origins of our major Western religions.

Religion these days is too often used as a gift giver rather than a means of helping those in need. Pray to your deity and he will give you a job raise or a hoard of virgins to enjoy. Colonialism is both under fire and still lurking to reward the winners of this or that war or control by a corrupt government.

I grimly read the news each day and get the worst of it from internet sources for which I signed in at some past date. As an elder I feel too frail to fight back as I would when I was younger. I blog my feelings and concerns and chat with friends with similar concerns around the globe.

Where we are going from here I honestly do not know. I hope Obama can make things better for us, but he is under fire for trying to do so.

And so things are.
--
"A war is just if there is no alternative, and the resort to arms is legitimate if they represent your last hope." (Livy cited by Machiavelli)
--
Ed Kent [blind copies]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home