Thursday, March 18, 2010

Internet Robbery!

I share as little of my personal information as possible except in blogs designed to capture some history with which I am personally familiar now at age 77. But I am terribly worried that people are opening themselves up to exploitation from here, there, and elsewhere. I get more than 100 emails each day with useful information from a variety of sources. I also receive about half of them as crooked operations searching for suckers whom they can exploit. I fear for the widow or widower trying to take over the email of a former spouse. I am forced to do battle almost daily with collection agencies for bills that hospitals have failed to cancel -- GHI pays our 20% beyond Medicare and again and again they are trying to double collect. Where such monies go, I would hate to guess. Most of us know that email queries about our finances are fraudulent. But how many innocents find themselves conned out of monies -- say from credit cards they have not ordered that have been stripped of funds?

In short we are living in a new world with the internet and it is a dangerous one which is used to mislead us both politically and in our personal interests. Imagine corporations now being allowed to contribute directly to candidates by our Supreme Court! Whom will they represent -- us or those paying them huge lobbying monies?

Help! I see our democracy at ever more risk! Already we are watching a vast gap opening up between our superrich and the rest of us. Recall that their taxes are constantly being reduced. But there is no free lunch for the services such as health care that we desperately need.
--
"A war is just if there is no alternative, and the resort to arms is legitimate if they represent your last hope." (Livy cited by Machiavelli)
--
Ed Kent [blind copies]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home