Sunday, August 15, 2010

Cost to Our Stressed Out People

Most of my family is spending the weekend upstate. They told me this morning that when they contacted the person who does repairs and maintenance for us with his son that he could not help because he was devastated by his son's recent suicide.

I fear that we shall see far too much of this with current conditions here in the U.S.

This nation does little or nothing to assist its citizens in desperate need. I live in an increasingly prosperous Morningside Heights -- dominated by Columbia which owns and leases much of it. We have watched our low cost living and small business sites being replaced by co-ops and expensive restaurants and stores. We have homeless people wondering our streets. My next door neighbor works with same 6 days a week and for about a decade spent several months each year setting up such programs in Uganda with the support of its president's wife.

I wish I were well enough to get out there and help, but am pretty well stuck at home with several limiting health conditions. Now that I am no longer teaching, I blog under the name of Ed Kent (which you can find on Google and share concerns with friends. The poverty and hunger stats here in the U.S. are a national disgrace as the rich get richer and the rest of us struggle to survive. Google is on the blink this a.m. or I would offer stats. But about 10 to 15% of Americans are living in poverty and hungry -- and many of those are children.

Where this nation is going I hate to guess. Greed seems to be the name of the game and people be damned.

And so we went!
--
"A war is just if there is no alternative, and the resort to arms is legitimate if they represent your last hope." (Livy cited by Machiavelli)
--
Ed Kent [blind copies]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home