Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Blue Collar Jobs Used to be Fun and Rewarding

It is really sad to see so many workers being shafted now -- not old enough for social Security and Medicare, but too old to get jobs.

When I was in college, I used to work at new jobs each summer which ranged from building houses and working with scrap metal to writing for the Time Inc. publications. Later I did the same when I needed extra money at Oxford. I had a choice between writing for Time Inc., but committing for a year, or being a heavy freight porter at the Oxford Station. The principal of my college was a sweet person, but he had estimated costs as they were when he was at Oxford. Had a fun moment when he was getting off a train from London and I asked, "Carry your bag, Sir?" which left him stunned. He had no idea I was working at the station -- university students did not do that sort of thing. But I could put in overtime and not do badly.

I found friendships at all of my blue collar jobs -- a little testing out to make sure I was not a snob, but then ok. Got my British mates sharing cigarettes which was not their practice there. At the American factory my buddies got quite protective when they realized I was working two full time jobs six days a week -- to save money for our year at Oxford. I was exhausted and would fall asleep at lunch hour, and they would stack bales around me to let me sleep on a bit. I was a year into divinity school so I was called "preacher." One day this huge guy came at me and accused me of flirting with his wife -- who that was, I did not know. But suddenly he backed off and and when I turned around my buddies were putting their switch knives back in their pockets. Life was good for them. One had his own small plane. Another was a boater.

These days are a nightmare in comparison. No certainty that a factory will not suddenly close down and move over 'there' somewhere. Whole towns are left stranded. We live in terribly divided classes -- rich versus poor and just making it.
--
"A war is just if there is no alternative, and the resort to arms is legitimate if they represent your last hope." (Livy cited by Machiavelli)
--
Ed Kent [blind copies]

1 Comments:

Blogger Belle said...

My husband has worked at a gas utility company all through our marriage. He belongs to a union and in all that time there has only been one strike. We have always been grateful for his job. He loves the guys he works with. It is such a blessing to have a job you know will always be there and where you can't get fired unless you are a real idiot.

I feel bad about how there are so few union jobs now and how the manufacturing jobs have gone overseas. When there is a strong middle class the whole country benefits.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home