Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Republicans Look to Be in Disarray?

I suspect that we are in for an interesting two years as the Republicans try to get their act together. Are they conservatives, moderates, some ungodly shifting combination of same.

It looks to me as though Obama has gotten off to a fast start. I am holding my breath as to whether the START treaty with Russia will get the 67 votes it probably needs to pass -- with one of our Dems unavailable due to sudden surgery. But otherwise Obama has done pretty well. No more discrimination against gays in the military. The Republicans bought no tax burdens for the ultra rich -- I suspect that they will regret that as it blows their cover so far as whom they support in this fair land. Once they have control of the House, I hate to imagine what trick or treats they will attempt. None, I assume, that Obama can't veto.

I see no plausible Republican candidate to run against Obama. All he has to do now is to expose the Republicans for what they are -- very greedy people who give not a damn for the bulk of us.

There is time now to tell things as they are. Our job problems lie more with our major competitors -- particularly the Chinese -- who can sell cheap. They have no real worries about poverty or benefits in their country. India is about as bad.

We need to get ourselves out of two or three ridiculous wars, but I imagine that we shall be doing that this next two years.
--
"A war is just if there is no alternative, and the resort to arms is legitimate if they represent your last hope." (Livy cited by Machiavelli)
--
Ed Kent [blind copies]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home