Saturday, January 22, 2005

Gotcha!

"When you go to work, stop at the store, fly in a plane, or surf the web, you are being watched. They know where you live, the value of your home, the names of your friends and family, in some cases even what you read. Where the data revolution meets the needs of national security, there is no place to hide."

................................

I have been made all too well aware by those messages that pop up on my computer screen that my system -- while well protected from the various -- is constantly being bombarded by intruders who wish to explore my thoughts and movements about the net, here, there, and elsewhere. I imagine that I am fairly well protected as I sit here from such intrusions by security software -- but most of my life's activities are not secured from intrusions ranging to bills that I pay and my credit rating, places that I travel with my personal MTA NYC Transit MetroCard, comments that I make to persons both in and out of my classrooms, my activities as a board member of my co-operative -- where we routinely intrude into the lives of our neighbors -- with or without their permission, whatever.

In sum we are increasingly living in a society where There is No Place to Hide:

http://www.noplacetohide.net/

which is the title of Robert O'Harrow, Jr.'s just published book, which details just how completely each of us -- unless we are homeless and wondering hither and yon -- is tracked in virtually all that we do.

O'Harrow is on the book talk circuit where I happened to hear a re-run of his WNYC discussion of such things a few minutes ago. Check out his website above and find out what people -- mainly corporate bodies, as well as your governments with the sponsorship of the Patriot Act, are learning about you RIGHT NOW!

http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/SafeandFree.cfm?ID=12126&c=207

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home