Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Con Artist Emails -- and Phone Calls, Too?

One figures that one will get a dozen or so con artist emails a day looking for ways to gain access to one's resources. Last evening I had what I figure might have been a phone equivalent from a very nervous lady trying to persuade me to have my mortgage paid out of my bank account or credit card. I did not. It only occurred to me later that such information would be sent by letter, not an evening phone call. Perhaps it was innocent, but I imagine that this is one of the new tactics for getting at our basic info.

I admit that I don't check all things listed as purchases, but I do check balances. Several years ago I discovered too long after the fact that I had paid someone's credit card bill and sent someone from NYC to Florida.

With all the computer skilled people on the loose, one wonders how long any of us will be safe from being raided. We have several virus detecting systems, but each of these is obviously obliged to update frequently to keep ahead.

My basic credit card offers protection for a small monthly fee and calls whenever it suspects something odd. I guess one can battle back if one reports things quickly.

What a damned nuisance. I wonder what percentage of people out there are computer crooks. Needless to say not all are based in the U.S.

Help!
--
"A war is just if there is no alternative, and the resort to arms is legitimate if they represent your last hope." (Livy cited by Machiavelli)
--
Ed Kent [blind copies]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home