Sunday, December 27, 2009

Getting to the Kids

I all too vividly recall how we as children hated our enemies during W.W.II. We taught ourselves Japanese techniques for killing people with our bare hands (jujitsu ) which I all too well remember.

One hears that the children on both sides of our various world conflicts are traumatized and it is no surprise that they grow up ready to kill their 'enemies'.

Occasionally people make efforts to get kids together from conflicts which sometimes helps. As an exchange student at a British school, I participated in one of these -- British and German teens hiking down the Rhine with me as the odd American who had to change sides half way through ball games. It did make a difference. My dearest friend met his German wife while stationed in Germany. I spoke at his funeral, but Gudrun and I stay in close touch. She played a major role in her career of service to those in need.

I saddens me to hear of the retaliatory killings, e.g. Israel's recent 6 killed in response to one Israeli settler killed by someone.

It is time we got to work on these things before we are trapped by yet another nuclear disaster.
--
"A war is just if there is no alternative, and the resort to arms is legitimate if they represent your last hope." (Livy cited by Machiavelli)
--
Ed Kent [blind copies]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home