Sunday, December 27, 2009

Nuclear Disaster in the Middle East?

Israel has a history of defending itself with overkill tactics - Lebanon, Gaza, Syria, Palestinians, etc. I hate to imagine what might be the outcome if Israel were to find that Iran is constructing a nuclear bomb which could more or less destroy Israel. I suspect that Israel would hit first with everything it needed to annihilate Iran, including nuclear bombs.

What the fallout would be I cannot guess. But none of us had better take this situation lightly. Iran seems to be somewhat in chaos now and perhaps with good reason with its Revolutionary Guards apparently running the show. I don't recall any suicide bombings by Iranians, but stupidity is not in short supply with military leaders and protest there has been silenced.

What should the U.S. do? Among things we should speak out about the perils of playing nuclear games as I am trying to do here. I see no way we can use military force to halt the Iranians. It is a large country situated in the middle of things where we are at present over committed.

I would hate to be Obama and his team trying to figure this one out.

What do you think?
--
"A war is just if there is no alternative, and the resort to arms is legitimate if they represent your last hope." (Livy cited by Machiavelli)
--
Ed Kent [blind copies]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home