Monday, January 18, 2010

Get Ready to Run for Cover!

If the Democrats lose the capacity to block Republican filibusters tomorrow, we had all better run for cover from the excesses we can expect from our banks, drug companies, and other corporate interests that already control too much of our lives.

I was startled to learn the other day that one bank has initiated $100.00 penalties for overdrafts. In one instance a bank never received a mortgage payment that I made -- I happened to notice that the check was not cashed. It was not returned by the post office. They let me pay by phone -- with that charge, of course. Happily I am retired and can check such things regularly, but my heart goes out to those already overworked and running to catch up.

Needless to say a super majority is no way to run a legislative system and perhaps we should challenge it now while we still can. There are innumerable reforms we need to be making, if we are to continue as a democracy. The gross greed of our big money interests is destroying social justice here as it is.

I regretted losing one of our fine immigrant families -- a student and her doctor parents -- to Canada a few years back. Now I am relieved that they are securely there. A part of my own family bounced back and forth between Canada and Northern New England back when. Perhaps we should appeal to the Canadians to open their doors when we find ourselves beginning to run for cover?
--
"A war is just if there is no alternative, and the resort to arms is legitimate if they represent your last hope." (Livy cited by Machiavelli)
--
Ed Kent [blind copies]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home