Saturday, April 24, 2010

Summer Community Feuds!

Summer communities are notorious for the hostilities sometimes lasting for generations that have often been generated by some random insult or other irritation.

I have seen this personally at both the summer homes where my and my wife's families spent summer vacations. For the past several decades I have spent teaching to earn extra tuition monies for my 3 children. I have been horrified over the growing animosities as to who owns what of the five cabins at County Line Camp at Valois on the east side of Seneca Lake.

My wife's mother had left her cabin to all three of her daughters at a time when the bylaws specified only two owners per cabin. Two of my wife's sister laid claim to their mother's cabin -- but only two owners per cabin were allowed then. Now things have changed and four members of each cabin can attend annual meetings and vote on issues.

But the animosities linger. I cannot be there to make peace because of a restrictive spinal damage problem, but I am bugging all to make peace now. All have a cabin of their own, as one was sold to one of my wife's sisters.

I argue that 'ownership' is a menace and that sharing by all should be our aim. Can we do it? I do not know.
--
"A war is just if there is no alternative, and the resort to arms is legitimate if they represent your last hope." (Livy cited by Machiavelli)
--
Ed Kent [blind copies]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home