Monday, August 23, 2010

Happy News for a Change

Now that I am in my eighth decade I avoid reading obits like the plague and worry each time I look for an old friend on Google -- the last had died several years ago.

What a delight it was to receive a phone call from a very old friend -- when we were in our very early teens. He is well and retired and in better health than me. But we both have grand children and shared our life experiences since we lost touch when I changed to a new school in our sophomore year.

We agreed to share emails and to have future talks. I must admit that I am pretty out of touch with the younger generation -- its music (I love jazz) and life styles. Or at least the much publicized ones I see reported here and there. There is nothing, then, like sharing notes with someone of one's own generation -- we are the same age. He has been reading my blogs, if not entirely agreeing with me on all points. But presumably we can have a warm disagreement about this or that along with recalling all the things since forgotten when we were kids.

I forgot to mention that I pass my Ed Kent blogs on to the Bloggers News Network:

http://www.bloggernews.net

where he can respond to whatever I have had to say for better or worse.

I pass along this experience which others might wish to duplicate. I had completely forgotten our friendship of those days until suddenly his name clicked in my fading memory.
--
"A war is just if there is no alternative, and the resort to arms is legitimate if they represent your last hope." (Livy cited by Machiavelli)
--
Ed Kent [blind copies]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home