Thursday, October 14, 2010

Student Concerns? What a Hell of a Life!

My children felt free to study what they really enjoyed and did well at them. But I wonder how many are now choosing job directed things? Those who have been there and experienced job (money) success know that it does not bring happiness. The numbers of divorces are indicative and heart-breaking in such cases.

Caring human relationships are what make life worth living. One could see that with the emergence of the Chilean minors. They loved and were loved by both their children and wives despite an horrendous job situation.

I am not a religious person, but learned much from two of our greatest caring people -- Jesus and Socrates. Both were executed for speaking out -- one for humanity and the other for truth. I have tried to model my own life on the examples of both which I could do as a college teacher. I am basically a loner. My dear friends -- one from childhood and the other my brave and highly effective wife have died. She was honored in a mass ceremony for her work in preservation of buildings as well as her training in 17th century English where she was an officer of one of her academic organizations and attended it regularly despite fighting cancer for 9 years. She was unstoppable because she was doing what she valued.

I fear for the present generation of our students. Teaching is declining here and the best leadership too often dumped, e.g. Michelle Rhee who headed the D.C. schools.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/10/13/dc.schools.chief/


The same happened in NYC under Giuliani. Our guy went on to do good things in California. And Rhee will do something comparable somewhere. Each was happy with doing a productive and humane job.

When I was a student near the the Great Depression, my Yale classmates avoided Wall St. like the plague.

Where our students will go now, I do not know. They are stuck with college debts and few if any jobs to pay them off or to live a normal life.

Help!
--
"A war is just if there is no alternative, and the resort to arms is legitimate if they represent your last hope." (Livy cited by Machiavelli)
--
Ed Kent [blind copies]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home