Tuesday, November 16, 2010

TV News: Rangel and Palin, Palin and Rangel

By chance I watched the early news today and it repetitiously covered the two names in the subject heading -- over and over again. Slipped in were a few bits on Karsai and mass deaths here and there.

I guess that all of us who give a damn about human welfare feel the same frustrations with the lack of real reporting on TV. I wonder what the superrich owners of the TV networks will do now that they have a mixed bag of Republicans/Tea Party honchos, i.e. those in the background such as the Koch brothers secretly funding their plutocratic programs? Will they get away with yet another tax break? They sure don't need one.

On our subject headings, Palin is a joke and Rangel is a sad case who has messed up an otherwise honorable career. I worked with J. Raymond Jones, the "Harlem Fox," when he was running Charlie in his first local election. Ray's slogan was "get off the plantation" and he worked hard to bring decent leaders to Harlem to replace the sellouts. Charlie was
horrified when someone did a smear job on his primary competitor. I haven't seen him since we were both buying a fish sandwich at a shop now closed at B'way and W. 110th St. The reports on his recent gaffs do not look good. And his actions look to me as though he is losing it a bit at 80.

Back to the TV news it seems to be reporting that we are planning to hang around Iraq and Afghanistan for a few more years. I'll be damned if I can figure out why. We have lost the respect of both the Iraqis and Afghans and much of the rest of the world as well with our wars without ends. Better the less said, I guess, for our TV biggies.

For the record I think a number is being done on Obama who inherited the economic and military messes. I shall be curious to see whether he can and will now fight back.

And so it goes -- pretty depressing.
--
"A war is just if there is no alternative, and the resort to arms is legitimate if they represent your last hope." (Livy cited by Machiavelli)
--
Ed Kent [blind copies]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home