Tuesday, December 29, 2009

And Our Homeless?

Below is the NYC weather report. As I sit at my computer with radiators blazing away and protected by new sealed windows, I still feel the chill and hear the whistling of the wind.

I wonder what will happen to the homeless who are about to be expelled from our overcrowded homeless shelters to face this day on the streets.

Our news reports today are about good things -- crime and murders are down in our town this year. People are out taking advantage of sales, etc., etc.

But our employment rate is bad -- particularly for African American men. Some buildings are not that well heated, even if one still can remain in one.

I guess that we live in the only industrialized democracy that does not do a number of things for its suffering ones. Were I younger and well enough I would join my next door neighbor who works with the homeless at a neighborhood church. I hope some of these are opening their doors here in NYC. I do not read about it, if they are.

*******************************8

Partly Cloudy

Feels Like:
25 °F
Barometer:
29.82 in and rising
Humidity: 37 %

Wind: WNW 17 mph

http://weather.yahoo.com/united-states/new-york/central-park-23505566/
--
"A war is just if there is no alternative, and the resort to arms is legitimate if they represent your last hope." (Livy cited by Machiavelli)
--
Ed Kent [blind copies]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home